How to Subscribe to Cultural Detective Online
A subscription to Cultural Detective Online is the most robust and affordable way to access the Method and materials. It provides access to all content integrated into the system for one low price. All content that the user uploads is printable and downloadable; Cultural Detective content is not. That is how we can keep subscription prices so affordable.
Subscriptions to Cultural Detective Online start as low as US$40 per user. Subscription prices decrease with volume. For example, an individual can subscribe for a full year for $120, or 1000 users can subscribe for a year for $49 per user. Academic institutions can subscribe students for a full term for the price of a one-month subscription. We will need a spreadsheet of user names and email addresses, and the dates of your term start and end, to set this up for you.
What is a Group Subscription and is it right for me?
A group subscription provides many features that can be very helpful to a team, a class, or similar group of people. When subscribed as a group, users within the group are able to:
- Share the Critical Incidents they upload with the group (or keep their incidents private)
- Collaborate with other group members on Critical Incidents and debriefs
- Choose to share their Personal Values Lens (created in Self Discovery) with the group
Each group has a designated Group Administrator—perhaps the team lead, the professor, or the HR professional. The Group Administrator:
- Invites users to join the group after uploading member information to CD Online via the website or an Excel spreadsheet
- Removes group members and integrates replacement members
- Approves, rejects, or requests edits to shared Critical Incidents uploaded by group members.
- Controls whether or not group users have access to author ideas in Critical Incidents
Group subscriptions are best used as part of a structured learning environment. They allow collaborative learning and encourage the ongoing practice that intercultural competence development requires.
How to License Cultural Detective PDF Packages
If you require handouts for printing or online sharing, licensing Cultural Detective PDF Packages is the right choice. Licensees receive watermarked digital rights management (DRM)-protected PDF files, via email within two working days.
Licenses are valid for 30 days. You will need to have a live Internet connection and Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat to open and use the materials; alternative PDF readers will not work with the files.
To order, go to our purchase page and select the package(s) in the amounts you require. The minimum purchase requirement when licensing full packages is one set of five licenses, which provides materials for five users. If you have 14 participants plus one facilitator (total 15), for example, you’d license three sets of five.
Pricing of PDF Packages
What is included in a PDF package?
A Cultural Detective PDF Package includes three separate documents:
- A Series Guide, with complete instructions on how to facilitate a Cultural Detective learning event, including definitions of culture, intercultural communication, and intercultural competence.
- The culture-specific Participant Materials that you will print for your participants, including an introduction to the culture or topic, a Values (or Challenges) Lens, explanations of the values or challenges and their possible negative perceptions, proverbs or sayings that illustrate the values, a minimum of five critical incidents, a list of best practices for bridging cultures, and a bibliography.
- The culture-specific Facilitator Manual that includes a sample story to introduce the Cultural Detective Method, examples of the values (or challenges) and their negative perceptions in action, sample debriefs of the critical incidents, and a list of music that you might play during a learning event.
For additional uses, you will purchase additional licenses and print out or share those materials.
How to License Cultural Detective Values Lenses
Values Lenses are included in any subscription to Cultural Detective Online. From there, Lenses can be projected to licensed users for use in the classroom, training or coaching session.
Values Lenses are also included in PDF packages. Should you be working with people from multiple cultures and desire additional Values Lenses as supplements to a complete package, you can license the graphic of the Lens page only. These are available in sets of ten licenses, IF you have also licensed a full package. This is because the Values Lenses are intended as supplements to the Cultural Detective Worksheet, to be used in conjunction with the CD Method.
Please do not order a license for Values Lenses only; your money will be refunded and the order not fulfilled if you do not also license a full package.